Short Treks From PokharaOctober 11, 2023
Short Treks From Pokhara
As Pokhara serves as a starting point for several trekking routes in Nepal, you can take both long and short treks from Pokhara.
Annapurna region of Nepal is one of the best trekking regions of Nepal.
It offers stunning visuals of the several mountain ranges and picturesque villages and provides an opportunity to experience the cultural values of the region.
From Pokhara, you can trek to different trekking routes in the Annapurna Region.
If you have only a few days left in Nepal but want to keep trekking in the landscapes of Nepal, then the short treks from Pokhara can be an ideal option for you.
Without further ado, let’s dive into finding out which are the best short treks around Pokhara that can be completed in 2 to 3 days.
If you are unaware of Pokhara, then Pokhara is one of the beautiful cities of Nepal that is located at a distance of almost 201 kilometers (124 miles) from Kathmandu.
It is both accessible by road and by flight. You can take the short, easy and comfortable route on a flight to Pokhara or on a long road trip to Pokhara.
You can reach Pokhara by flight in just 25-30 minutes, whereas the road trip generally takes 6-8 hours, depending on which mode of transportation you choose.
It is one of the most visited and popular tourist hubs in Nepal.
The Phewa Lake, World Peace Pagoda, Sarangkot, Devi’s Fall, and International Mountain Meuseum are some of the major tourist attractions in Pokhara.
8 Short Treks From Pokhara
Considering the difficulty, duration, and attraction of the trekking routes, these are the 8 best short treks from Pokhara that you can consider going on.
Mardi Himal Trek – 3 Days
The Mardi Himal Trek is one of the most popular trekking routes in the Annapurna region and offers stunning views of the Annapurna and Machapuchare (Fishtail) mountain ranges.
It can be completed in just 3 days, starting from Pokhara. It is moderately difficult, and even a beginner with no trekking experience can easily do this trek.
The highest elevation you can get on this trek is 4,500 meters, which is at the Mardi Himal upper view point.
You can expect stunning visuals of the mountain ranges, lush forests, and picturesque villages on this trek.
Also, in spring (March to May), you can see the blooming of the rhododendrons, which adds vibrant color to the lush forest.
The Mardi Himal Trek generally starts in the village of Kande. To reach Kande, you can take a short drive from Pokhara.
From Phedi, the trail takes you through lush forests and rhododendrons, eventually reaching Pothana and Deurali village.
From the Mardi Himal Base Camp, you can expect stunning views of Machapuchare, Annapurna South, and the Hiunchuli.
- Pokhara, the beautiful city and the major tourist hub of Nepal
- Trekking through the lush forest and rhododendron
- Visiting several picturesque villages and learning about the cultural values
- Mardi Himal Base Camp, located at an altitude of 4,500m, provides one of the best viewpoint for Annapurna and Machapuchare mountain ranges
- Fit for every level of trekkers and a better option for beginners to kick-off trekking experience in Nepal
Mardi Himal Upper View Point
Facts about Mardi Himal Trek
- Starting/Ending Point: Pokhara – Kande – Forest Camp – High Camp – Mardi Himal Viewpoint – Siding Village – Pokhara
- Highest altitude: 4,500m/14,763ft (Mardi Himal Upper View Point)
- Cost: USD 270 – USD 400
- Best Time: Autumn and Spring
- Trek Difficulty: Moderate
- Total Duration: 3 Days
- Permits Required: TIMS (Trekkers’ Information Management System) card and Annapurna Conservation Area Permit
Mardi Himal Trek 3 days Itinerary
- Day 01: Drive to Kande from Pokhara (50 minutes – 1 hour) and Trek to Forest Camp (2,600m; trekking duration: 7-8 hours)
- Day 02: Trek from Forest Camp to High Camp (3,580m; trekking duration: 6-7 hours)
- Day 03: Trek to Mardi Himal Upper View Point (4,500), trekking back to Siding and driving back to Pokhara City
Ghorepani Poonhill Trek – 3 Days
The Ghorepani Poonhill Trek is one of the shortest and most popular trekking routes in the Annapurna Region.
This trek is popular for the Poonhill, which offers the best viewpoint for the spectacular mountain ranges and beautiful sunrise/sunset views.
Starting from Pokhara city, this trek can be completed in just 3 days. It is one of the easiest treks and ideal for all fitness levels.
On this trek, you can enjoy hiking in the landscapes of Nepal, with views of the Annapurna and Machpuchare mountain ranges alongside the picturesque Tamang villages.
The trek starts with a short scenic drive from Pokhara to Nayapul, which further takes you on the trail that climbs lush forests and rhododendron.
Passing through the well-known villages of Ulleri and Ghorepani, you can encounter several local people and get to know more about their lifestyles.
On reaching Ghorepani, which is one of the popular stopping points for trekkers and serves as a good base for hiking to Poon Hill.
Poon Hill is located at an elevation of 3,210 m and provides the best view of sunset and sunrise alongside the stunning mountain ranges of Annapurna and Machapuchare.
- Scenic drive from Pokhara to Nayapul with stunning views of picturesque villages
- Stunning views of the Annapurna and Machapuchare mountain ranges
- Trekking on the trails through lush, dense forest and rhododendron
- Visiting several traditional Tamang villages and learning the unique cultures
- Early morning hike to Poon Hill and experiencing the spectacular views of the sunrise
- Getting the taste of Nepali food like Dal Bhaat, Momos, etc.
Facts about Ghorepani Poon Hill Trek
- Starting/Ending point: Pokhara – Nayapul – Ulleri – Ghorepani – Poonhill – Pokhara
- Trek difficulty: Easy
- Highest altitude: 3,210m (Poon Hill)
- Cost: USD 280 – USD 390
- Best Time: Autumn and Spring
- Total Duration: 3 days
- Permits Required: TIMS (Trekkers’ Information Management System) Card and ACAP (Annapurna Conservation Area Permit)
Ghorepani Poon Hill 3 Days Itinerary
- Day 01: Drive from Pokhara to Nayapul (1 to 1.5 hours) and trek to Ulleri (2,050m) for an overnight stay. [Trekking duration: 5-6 hours]
- Day 02: Trek to Ghorepani (2,874m) from Ulleri and Overnight stay at Ghorepani [Trekking duration: 4-5 hours]
- Day 03: Early morning hike to Poon Hill (3,210m; trekking duration: 1-2 hours) from Ghorepani and return to Pokhara
Australian Camp Trek – 2 Days
Australian Camp is one of the best short treks from Pokhara that can be completed in just two days. It is not as popular as the Annapurna Base Camp and Annapurna Sanctuary Trek in Nepal, but it provides the best views of the stunning mountain ranges.
With this short trek, you can get stunning views of the Annapurna range alongside the natural beauty of Nepal.
In addition to the beautiful, picturesque villages of Annapurna Region, the short Australian Camp Trek is even more exciting.
The Australian Camp Trek starts from Pokhara, from where you can take an hour drive to Kande. The trek then starts from the beautiful village of Kande, which provides the trails that take you through terraced fields, lush landscapes, and stunning mountain views.
In just 1.5 to 2 hours, you can reach Australian Base Camp from Kande. The base camp offers one of the best viewpoints in the region, offering visuals of the Annapurna ranges and neighboring mountain peaks.
The Australian Camp is located at an altitude of 2,100 m, and upon reaching the base camp, you will be treated to spectacular sunset views.
- A scenic drive to Kande from Pokhara with stunning views of the terraced fields, tranquil lakes and charming villages
- Trekking from Kande to Australian Base Camp, following the trail provides views of the mountain ranges and lush forest
- Enjoying the spectacular sunset views from the height of the Australian Camp
- Exploring the base camp, learning about the cultures, and trying the traditional Nepali foods
- Trekking to Phedi and enjoying the spectacular views of the different mountain ranges
Facts about Australian Base Camp Trek
- Starting/Ending point: Pokhara – Kande – Australian Base Camp – Phedi – Pokhara
- Trek Difficulty: Easy
- Highest altitude: 2,100 m (Australian Camp)
- Cost: USD 185 – USD 250
- Best Time: Autumn and Spring
- Total duration: 2 days
- Permits required: TIMS (Trekkers’ Information Management System) Card and ACAP (Annapurna Conservation Area Permit)
2 Days Australian Camp Trek Itinerary
- Day 01: Short scenic drive to Kande from Pokhara (1 hour) and Trek to Australian Base Camp (1.5-2 hours)
- Day 02: Exploring the Australian Camp (2,100 m), Trekking to Phedi (4-5 hours), and a Short Drive from Phedi to Pokhara (30-45 minutes)
Mohare Dada Trek – 4 Days
Mohare Dada Trek is one of the shortest and easiest treks in the Annapurna Region that takes you to Mohare Dada, offering you stunning views of the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri mountain ranges.
The Mohare Dada is located at an elevation of 3,300 m and is one of the best viewpoints to enjoy the mountain views in a serene atmosphere.
With this trek, you can have the best experience of hiking on the trail that takes you through lush forests, water streams and picturesque villages.
Being the easiest trek, every trekker with a basic fitness level can go on this trekking journey. Also, it is suitable for every age group that has the potential to walk for 2-3 hours a day.
The journey starts with a short scenic drive to Galeshwor from Pokhara. Galeshwor, located at an elevation of 1,170 m, is the starting point of the trek that takes you to Bans Kharka.
From Bans Kharka, you can trek to Nagi Village and then to Mohare Dada, located at an elevation of 3,300 m.
The trails to the Mohare Dada pass through several lush forests and rhododendrons, adding vibrant color to the scenery.
It is one of the best opportunities for beginners who want to kick-off their trekking experience in Nepal.
- A short and easy trek fit for every fitness level, offering a better kick-off to gain trekking experience on lands of Nepal
- A short scenic drive from Pokhara to Galeshwor with stunning views of charming villages, water streams, and mountain ranges
- Clear and spectacular views of the sunset and sunrise from the Mohare Dada
- Visiting the traditional Magar and Gurung villages and learning about the lifestyle and cultures
- Trekking on the diverse landscapes through dense forest, rhododendron, and terraced fields
Mohare Dada Trek Facts
- Starting/Ending Point: Pokhara – Galeshwor – Bans Kharka – Nagi Village – Mohare Dada – Pokhara
- Trek Difficulty: Easy
- Cost: USD 325 – USD 450
- Best Season: Autumn and Spring
- Total duration: 3 days
- Highest altitude: 3,300 m (Mohare Dada)
- Permits Required: TIMS and ACAP
Mohare Dada Trek 4 Days Itinerary
- Day 01: Drive from Pokhara to Galeshwor (1,170m) and Trek to Bans Kharka (3-4 hours)
- Day 02: Trek from Bans Kharka (1,526m) to Nagi Village (5-6 hours)
- Day 03: Trek from Nagi Village (2,300 m) to Mohard Dada (5-6 hours)
- Day 04: Trek to Banthati from Mohara Dada (6-7 hours) and drive back to Pokhara City
Ghandruk Trek – 2 Days
Next, we have the Ghandruk Trek, which is popular among both foreign trekkers and local people. The trek is well-known for experiencing the hospitality and learning about the culture of the traditional Gurung community.
The trek to Ghandruk can be completed in just 2 days and it takes you through charming villages, terraced fields, and lush forests in the Annapurna Region.
It is one of the easiest treks and is fit for every age group and fitness level, making it perfect for beginners.
With this trek, you can get stunning views of the Annapurna and Machapuchare mountain ranges, and the environment of the places is just amazing.
The Ghandruk trek generally starts from Nayapul, which is easily accessible from the Pokhara and takes almost an hour of driving.
Gandruk Village is located at an elevation of 1,940m and takes almost 4-5 hours to trek from Nayapul. The best part of this trek is that you can enjoy the warm hospitality and try the local Nepali dishes of the traditional Gurung community.
The trail to Ghandruk from Nayapul is well-mainted and takes you through charming villages and water streams, and provides several opportunities to meet the local people on the way.
- A short scenic drive to Nayapul from Pokhara with views of tranquil lakes, charming villages, and lush hills
- Hiking on the well-maintained trail to reach Ghandruk from Nayapul
- Capturing views of the Annapurna and Machapuchare mountain ranges throughout the trek
- Visiting Gurung village and experiencing the warm hospitality and local Nepali dishes
- Learning about the unique culture of Gurung Community
- Starting/Ending points: Pokhara – Nayapul – Ghandruk – Nayapul – Pokhara
- Best Season: Autumn (September to November) and Spring (March to May)
- Difficulty: Easy
- Trekking duration: 2 days
- Cost: USD 180 – USD 240
- Highest Altitude: 1,940 m (Ghandruk Village)
Gandruk 2 Days Trek Itinerary
- Day 01: Drive to Nayapul from Pokhara (approximately 1 hour) and Trek to Ghandruk (4-5 hours)
- Day 02: Trace back the trail to Nayapul from Ghandruk (1,940m) and drive to Pokhara
Dhampus Trek – 2 Days
Dhampus Trek, one of the short treks from Pokhara, is the best opportunity for beginners who want to gain trekking experience in Nepal.
This 2 days trek takes you on a journey to Dhampus village, which offers a stunning viewpoint for mountain ranges, including Dhaulagiri, Annapurna South, Machapuchhare (fishtail), and Himchuli.
The Dhampus Trek is one of the best ways to experience the natural and cultural beauty of the Annapurna Region.
Dhampus Village is one of the most popular tourist destinations around Pokhara and provides the best place to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet of the mountains.
The trek starts with a short drive from Pokhara to Phedi, from where you can trek to Dhampus village, which takes about 3 hours of hiking.
You can find a number of guesthouses and lodges where you can enjoy traditional Nepali dishes and enjoy the beautiful scenery that makes Nepal the best place to trek.
- A short and scenic drive to Phedi offers views of tranquil lakes, water streams and lush hills
- Trek to Dhampus Villages, following the trail that takes you through lush forest, terraced fields, and stoned roads
- Visiting the charming Dhampus village and trying some of the best traditional Nepali foods
- Meeting with the local community and learning more about the cultural values
- Extraordinary panoramic views of the mountain ranges, including Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, Himchuli, and Machapuchare
- Starting/Ending point: Pokhara – Phedi – Dhampus Village – Phedi – Pokhara
- Difficulty: Easy
- Best seasons: Autumn and Spring
- Cost: USD 165 – USD 220
- Trekking duration: 2 days
- Highest altitude: 2,050 m (Dhampus Peak)
2 Days Dhampus Trek Itinerary
- Day 01: Drive from Pokhara to Phedi (approximately 1 hour) and trek to Dhampus Village (3–4 hours).
- Day 02: Trek back to Phedi from Dhampus Village and drive to Pokhara from Phedi.
Panchase Trek – 2 Days
Panchase Trek is yet another popular and short trek from Pokhara that takes you to an amazing experience of trekking on the lands of Nepal.
This short trek is perfect for beginners who want to gain some experience trekking in the landscapes of Nepal before embarking on the longer treks.
With this trek, you can get the views of spectacular mountain ranges, including the Dhaulagiri and Annapurna.
In addition to the serene environment throughout the trek, it is even more fascinating for the trekkers who want to take a break from the outside world and enjoy the natural beauty of Nepal.
The trek generally starts from Bhadaure, which is easily accessible from Pokhara and takes about an hour of driving. Alternatively, you can also drive to Kande and start the trek from there.
The trekking then starts from Bhadaure to Panchase Bhanjyang, which takes about 2–3 hours of trekking. During the trek, you will be treated to stunning views of the mountain ranges, terraced fields and charming villages.
The same day, you can spend the night at the Panchase Bhanjyang, where you can try some delicious Nepali food and meet with the local community.
On the next day, the trek continues with a short hike to Panchase Hill, which takes about 2 hours from Bhanjyang.
The trail then continues to Ghatichinna, from where you can take a bus to return to Pokhara. The trekking trail is well-maintained and offers the best experience of trekking in the natural beauty of Nepal.
- Short scenic drive to Bhadaure enjoys the views of the terraced fields, lush forest and charming countryside houses
- Trekking to Panchase Bhanjyang, following the well-maintained route while enjoying the stunning views of mountain ranges
- Short hikes to Panchase Hill from Bhanjyang that offer the best viewpoint to have the stunning views of the landscapes and himalayas of Annapurna Region
- Enjoy the stunning visuals of the water steams, and temples on the way to Panchase hill
- Trek to Ghatichinna while exploring the natural beauty of Nepal
- Starting/Ending Point: Pokhara – Bhadaure – Panchase Bhanjyang – Panchase Hill – Ghatichinna – Pokhara
- Trek Difficulty: Easy
- Best seasons: Autumn and Spring
- Cost: USD 190 – USD 260
- Trekking Duration: 2 days
- Highest altitude: 2,517 m (Panchase Hill)
Panchase Trek 2 Days Itinerary
- Day 01: Drive to Bhadaure from Pokhara and trek to Panchase Bhanjyang
- Day 02: Trek to Panchase Hill from Panchase Bhanjyang, trek to Ghatichinna and drive back to Pokhara
Naudada Sarangkot Hike – 1 Day
The Naudada Sarangkot Hike is a popular day hike from Pokhara that takes through several charming countryside houses to the popular viewpoints to get stunning views of the sunrise and Himalayan ranges.
The Sarangkot is popular as a viewpoint that offers a panoramic view of Pokhara city and different lakes with stunning views of the mountain ranges, including Annapurna, Machhapuchhre, etc.
It is a widely popular hike from the Pokhara because of the stunning visuals from the viewpoint and for paragliding too.
The trek starts from Naudada village, located about 30 kilometers north of Pokhara. It is easily accessible by taxi or bus.
From Naudada, the trail then follows the ridge through forest and terraced fields. With the views of the Annapurna range at a distance, the hiking on the ridge is even more fascinating.
After about 2 hours of hiking from Naudada, the trail then reaches Sarangkot, which is one of the best viewpoints to have a panoramic view of beautiful Pokhara city.
You can enjoy the stunning mountain ranges and sunset view from the top of the Sarangkot hill, which flashes the beauty of Nepal.
The viewpoint offers several opportunities for photographs, which you can keep as memories.
After enjoying the stunning views from Sarangkot, the hike then continues back to Naudada, from where you can take a taxi or bus to get back to Pokhara.
- Scenic drive to Naudada from Pokhara with views of the mountain ranges, lakes, and charming villages
- Hiking on the ridge while following the trail to Sarangkot from Naudada
- Getting stunning visuals of the majestic Annapurna ranges while trekking to Sarangkot
- Enjoying the sunrise view with the massive Annapurna range
- Taking photographs to keep it as memory
- Starting/Ending Point: Pokhara – Naudada – Sarangkot – Naudada – Pokhara
- Trip Difficulty: Easy
- Duration: 1 day
- Best Time: Autumn and Spring but can be done throughout the year
- Cost: USD 80 – USD 120
- Highest Altitude: 1,600m (Sarangkot)
Naudada Sarangkot Day Hike Itinerary
- Scenic drive to Naudada from Pokhara (1 hour)
- Trekking to Sarangkot from Naudada (2 hours)
- Enjoying the beautiful panoramic view from the hilltop and trekking back to Naudada from Sarangkot (2 hours)
- Drive back to Pokhara from Naudada (approximately 1 hour)
At the end, if you are planning to have short treks from Pokhara, then these are the 8 best short treks you can try while you are in Nepal.
These short treks can be done on your own, but they are more manageable with a local agency in Nepal.
Do you know? Blue Lake Adventure, the official website of Blue Lake Travels and Tour PVT LTD., is one of the leading travel agencies in Nepal with over 15 years of experience.
You can take all these short hikes with us and get the best experience of trekking in Nepal.
Choose an ideal short trek from Pokhara and create the best moments of trekking in Nepal while enjoying the natural beauty and mountain ranges of the Annapurna Region.