Upper Mustang Mountain Bike Tour Hightlights
- Explore the Ancient Tibetan Kingdom by riding the mountain bike
- Ride through the Traditional Tibetan Villages
- Explore the unique rock formations and landscapes of the Upper Mustang
- Visit/Explore the hidden gem-Lo-Manthang-the high altitude
- Opportunity to see the beautiful snow-capped views of Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, and Himchuli ranges
- Explore the Ancient Monasteries and Stupas along the way to the Upper Mustang Tour
- Learn about the culture and traditions of the local community in the Mustang district
- Observe and explore the traditional method of Farming in the Mustang
- Learn and Explore the Apple Farm in Marpha
- Taste the local wine made of Organic Apples in the Mustang district
- Visit and explore the Muktinath Temple-the holy temple for Hindu and Buddhist religion
The Upper Mustang Mountain Bike Tour is known as the thrilling mountain bike destination in Nepal. Upper Mustang lies on the lap of giant mountains such as Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, and Nilgiri.
Along the ride in Upper Mustang, you will feel the thrilling uphill ride and also the downhill ride which also requires the good skills of handling and the proper knowledge of wilderness first aid responder as well.
Usually, the Upper Mustang Mountain Bike Tour starts from the beautiful city of Pokhara. Where you will leave for the most mesmerizing mountain bike tour in the Himalayas. We will drive to the Jomsom which is also the gateway of the Upper Mustang.
From here, we will start our mountain bike ride on rough and rocky trails witnessing the beautiful mountains and the natural beauty such as the landscapes of the terrains and the beautiful stupas found along the trails.
During the whole trail, you will face various obstacles on the way. Passing through the various passes you will reach the Lo Manthang which is the beautiful ancient Tibetan settlement.
Though, riding a mountain bike in Upper Mustang itself is a challenging job that requires more skill and physically fit to commence the ride in the mountains.
Today, welcome to Nepal!! Our representative will meet you at the Tribhuvan International Airport. They will welcome you with flowers and a garland at the airport.
You will be transferred to the hotel in the heart of the Kathmandu Valley-Thamel.
To reach Thamel from the Airport it takes 30-35 minutes depending upon the traffic conditions. Our staff will help you to check in with the Hotel procedure and after that, you will meet with your guide to discuss the further plan.
With a pleasant breakfast in the Hotel, you will meet the official representative from the Blue Lake Adventure and gain some knowledge about the mechanical and technical aspects of the mountain bike.
Along with you will explore the UNESCO heritage sites with our staff members, riding on a bicycle around the Kathmandu Valley.
You will have a good warm-up ride on the day as you explore each and every corner of the heritage site.
While bags and luggage that are not essentials for the tour can be left in the Hotel.
Today, morning after a good breakfast in the Hotel, our staff members will load and gear up all the luggage and the mountain bike on the vehicle to transport to the magical city of Pokhara.
You will leave the Kathmandu Valley around 8 AM and it takes 7-8 hours of long drive to reach Pokhara city.
While Pokhara is 200 KM from the capital city Kathmandu. You will have your lunch on the way to Pokhara.
During the drive, you will be passing via the white water Trishuli River and the Manakamana Temple.
Optional: You may also take a domestic flight from Kathmandu to reach Pokhara which takes 25-30 minutes to reach.
10km Ride, 250m Ascent
Today!! From Pokhara, we will drive to Jomsom. The drive takes around 6-7 hours. Along the drive, you will witness the beautiful mountains and panoramic views of the hills around.
Our lunch will be on the way to Jomsom. As we reach Jomsom, our staff members and you will gear up the bike and check the condition of the bike to commence our tour in the mountains.
We will start our ride from the Jomsom through the rough roads and along the Kali Gandaki river gorge towards the Kagbeni which is also known as the gateway to Upper Mustang.
On reaching the Kagbeni, you may explore around and have tea, coffee, and overnight stay in a Hotel/Tea House.
The early day, after having breakfast in Hotel in Kagbeni. We will commence our mountain bike tour toward the Muktinath Temple.
To reach the Muktinath the trail is all uphill. It takes 2-3 hours of ride to reach the final destination.
Along the way, you will experience/witness the beautiful snow-capped mountains such as Dhaulagiri and Nilgiri.
As we reach the destination(Muktinath)we will have our lunch and you may also explore the Hindu and Buddhist Temple-Muktinath.
Today!!is the day to enter the Upper Mustang in the high mountains. Early morning after breakfast in the Hotel, we will commence our ride early in the morning to witness the beautiful mountain views.
After a certain KM of riding from Muktinath Temple, we will be riding through the beautiful village and start to climb up hills towards the Gyula Pass(4066M) above sea level.
Reaching the top of Gyula Pass, we will descend downhill at nearly 1300 M to reach the Chhusang. The trails are more technical to reach the Chhusang.
Now we will cross the Kali Gandaki River Gorge and again start to climb uphill to reach our final destination-Samar.
Today’s trails are more extreme you will enjoy the beautiful views and we will stop at certain points and again start riding.
From here, we are on the Upper Mustang and our overnight will be in a Tea House/Hotel.
Day 7: Samar to Ghami(3520m/11548ft): 28 km Ride, 1100m Ascent
On this day! We will get our breakfast early in the morning and start our ride toward the Ghami. As today we need to cross the 5 beautiful passes i.e. Bhena La, Yamdo La, NyaLa, Syanboche la, and Ghami La. All 5 passes are above the 3,800 m to pass across.
Today’s trails are more rough and tough as compared to the previous days. While there won’t be more uphills rather there are more downhills with the technical paths to ride.
As we reach the Ghilling, we will stop for Lunch. While from here we will reach our destination Ghami around 2-3 hours of ride covering the 5-long trail.
Today we will pass across two beautiful passes in the high mountains. The trail is easier while the altitude makes you feel more difficult in the high Himalayas. In the first phase, we will ascend nearly 5KM and the second one is not more difficult.
While we will be passing the beautiful village -Chharang. We will stop here for lunch and we will also explore the beautiful village before commencing the ride.
Reaching Lo Manthang, we will explore the ancient valley after checking in at the Hotel/Tea House. Lo Manthang is a beautiful village where an ancient king used to live and the place for the Buddhism religion as well. Overnight in a Hotel.
Riding the following days, while the ride of today is optional!!
The ride!! Takes you through the beautiful snow-capped high mountains and will ride above the Lo Manthang. village.
While Kimaling is near the Tibetan Border, you may capture photos and videos.
You may also ride to the Garphu to explore and visit the ancient cave and dwellings of the settlement of ancient Tibetan People.
During the clean and clear weather, you will be able to witness the beautiful snow-capped Dhaulagiri and Nilgiri.
Early morning after the heavy breakfast we will continue our ride to Ghami as we cross the Dhakmar.
The trail we will be passing today is more technical with the narrow path, while one should have good handling skills so as to enjoy the ride.
We will be crossing the two high passes such as Chogo la(4280 M) and Mui La(4170 M).
The Chogo La pass is the highest pass to cross over.
In the first phase, 6-7 KM trails are steep and rocky uphill climbs, while along the way you might be pushing the bike with your hands.
From the top of the pass, we will ride through the steep descent and rough path. While the skilled biker with extreme experience can only pass the trail for the others we recommend pushing the bike.
As we cover the 15KM we will reach Dhakmar and following the wide path of the bus and jeep we will reach the Ghami. Along the way, you will see the mountains Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, and Nilgiri. Overnight stay in Hotel/tea house.
Today is the next hard day to ride the mountain bike. we will cross the two same passes that we crossed while riding uphill in the mountains.
As we leave the beautiful village of Ghami, we will commence our longest ride of the day.
In the first hour, we will cover 7-8 KM to climb the Niy La pass. From the top, we will follow the downhill trail to the village of Gilling which is around 4-5 KM of trail to climb uphill to Syangboche La.
Now the trail starts descent while 3-4 KM is uphill to cross the Yamada Pass.
Following the same trail while descending will be more interesting while we will follow some shortcut way to reach the final destination Chele.
Though, the downhill is a more quick and very mesmerizing ride as witnessing the beautiful view of Nilgiri and the Annapurna ranges.
After breakfast, we will leave the Chele behind and commence our ride toward the Marpha.
we will leave the trails of the Upper Mustang behind and move on to Lower Mustang. From here the air pressure gets thicker, the temperature rises, and riding a bike gets easier.
The 3KM trail after leaving the Chele is mostly downhill and wide and flat to Choosing. The trails are more rough and rocky till Kagbeni. After the Kagbeni, we will ride through the beautiful wide roadways to Marpha.
Having a heavy breakfast in Marpha, we will commence our ride of the day. While the ride will be longer and all downhill with a more interesting and thrilling experience.
While 18-20 KM from Marpha is a wide and flat trail, the rider can enjoy the mesmerizing views of the snow-capped mountains. While crossing the beautiful village of Lete, we will have a downhill trail.
As upon arrival on Tatopani, you may have a good natural hot spring bath and get the muscle on a freeway.
The ride from Tatopani to Maldhunga is known as the last ride of our Upper Mustang Mountain Bike Tour. Getting back to a lower altitude makes it easy to ride a bike on rough and rocky terrains.
The first phase trail of 20-21 KM is wide with rough rocky stones while the remaining are blackly toughed.
Upon reaching Maldhunga our staff members will meet you and load all the mountain bikes and luggage in the Vehicle as to drive to Pokhara city.
Arriving in Pokhara, you may have to take a rest and have quality time with your team members roaming around the city.
Today, after breakfast in the Hotel in the magical city of Pokhara. We will drive to Kathmandu city.
You will have lunch along the way to Kathmandu. You will be transferred to a Hotel in Thamel.
During your leisure time, you may explore the Thamel area and get the souvenirs of your loved and dear ones.
On this day!! Our representative from Blue Lake Adventure will leave you at Tribhuvan International Airport. Bidding you a farewell! 1 safe journey see you!!
Included and Excluded in Upper Mustang Mountain Bike Tour
- Airport Pick up
- Kathmandu- Pokhara- Kathmandu by tourist bus with A/C
- Two Nights’ Accommodation Tourist standard Hotel with Attached bath with A/C in Pokhara ( Breakfast Included )
- Pokhara – Jomsom- Pokhara Jeep service for Mountain Bike
- Pokhara Hotel to Domestic Airport by Private Vehicle
- Pokhara Airport to Hotel by Private Vehicle
- Pokhara- Jomsom – Pokhara flight Ticket
- Best available lodge accommodation during the trek twin sharing
- All standard meals full board with tea/ coffee (Lunches, Dinners, and Breakfasts) during the trek
- Government licensed holder Blue Lake Adventure experienced trek Guide and porter ( Every two trekkers 1 Porter Carry 12 kg Baggage
- Guide and porter include their salary, meals, lodging, and insurance
- Guide, Porter Transportation from Pokhara- Jomsom- Pokhara
- Water purification tablets for safe drinking water during the
- Restricted Permit for Upper Mustang Trek
- (TIMS) card Trekkers Information Management System
- Everyday Seasonal Fruits
- Down Jackets, Sleeping Bag, Blue Lake Adventure T-Shirt, and Annapurna Base camp map ( Down jacket and Sleeping bag to be returned after the trek )
- All Nepal Government taxes and office expenses
- Rescue operations in case of complicated in funded by travel insurance
- Blue Lake Adventure Certificate after the successful trek
- Farewell Dinner in Kathmandu
- Airport drop
- International Flights ticket
- Nepal Entry visa fee
- Visa Cost on Arrival in International Airport Kathmandu (15 Days, $ 25- $30 30 Days – $40-50, and 90 days- $100-110)
- Extra luggage (limit is 12 kg per trekker)
- All Accommodation and meals before and after the journey in Kathmandu
- Lunch and dinner in Pokhara and Kathmandu
- Personal Expenses (Snacks, ( tea/ Coffee) cold drinks, Alcohol, Boil water Wi-Fi, hot shower, battery re- Charge, telephone call, and extra porter
- Personal Gear and clothes
- Personal Trekking equipment
- Tips, Guide, Porter, restaurant, Driver
- Additional Costs like delays caused due to circumstances beyond our control, for example- itinerary modification, change of government policy, Strikes, illness landslide, etc
Best Time for Upper Mustang Mountain Bike Tour
The Best time to explore and travel with a mountain bike on the rough roads of Upper Mustang is September to November and March to May.
Autumn (September to November)
Planning to ride in the rough terrains of the Himalayas of the Upper Mustang near the Tibetan border. While for this the months of September to November will be the ideal months to ride with the group of team members in the high elevation.
During the months the mesmerizing mountain will closely open up to you. You will experience the beautiful mountains and the natural beauty during your ride in the mountains. The Autumn(September to November)in Nepal is known as the peak trekking season with moderate temperatures and cozy weather.
The trekking trail will not be wet as a result of no rainfall during the months. All you will see is the beautiful mountains and the natural beauty of the mountains.
Spring (March To May)
Spring is the season of the expedition in Nepal. Numbers of expedition lovers come to Nepal for expedition purposes in Nepal.
On the other hand, trekkers and mountain bike lovers keep exploring the different corners of Nepal by riding Mountain Bikes. During the Spring season, you will experience the green natural beauty of the hills, and the beautiful flowers blooming all around the forest.
The flora and fauna are found in the different species of birds, wild animals, and flowers. During your trek/mountain bike tour, you will explore the close-up mountains and the beautiful panoramic views.
Upper Mustang Mountain Bike Tour Cost
- Permits: Permits for the Upper Mustang Mountain Bike Tour range between USD $20 and $30 per person and include a TIMS card, an Annapurna Conservation Area Permit, and a Special Restricted Area Permit. Entry into restricted areas in the Annapurna region, including the Thorong La pass, Upper Mustang, and Nar Phu, requires Special Permits for Restricted Regions, which cost between US$500 and US$1000.
- Guide/Porter: Getting a guide is preferred to hiring a porter if you plan on going to a high altitude in the Annapurna region. Hiring a guide and porter for your travel can make it safer and more convenient for only USD $25-$30 per day for the guide and USD $20-$25 per day for the porter.
- Transportation: Upper Mustang Mountain Bike Tour transportation choices from Kathmandu include flying or taking the bus to Pokhara. Ensure that the Upper Mustang Mountain Biking Tour runs smoothly by booking flights and transportation ahead of time. While getting to Upper Mustang, your vehicle prices increase according to your mode of transportation.
- Accommodation: On the Upper Mustang Trek, the only choice for overnight lodging is a tea house, which can cost anything from $10 to $25 USD per night.Although factors such as location, altitude, conveniences, and so on influence the cost of a hotel.
Permits for Upper Mustang Mountain Bike Tour
Upper Mustang Mountain Bike Tour is a popular destination in the Annapurna range, but visitors must obtain a special permit to enter. The proceeds from the selling of permits would go toward conservation activities in the Annapurna region.
Annapurna Conservation Area Project (ACAP)
Annapurna Conservation Area is a conservation area park in Nepal. Permits are necessary for access into the ACAP, which are collected by ACAP workers at the ACAP’s entrances. Permits for the Annapurna Conservation Area (ACAP) are available from the Blue Lake Adventure in Kathmandu, and this office can put you in touch with trekking agencies to help you have a more secure and satisfying high-altitude trek.
Trekkers Management System Card (TIMS)
To enter any hiking destination in Nepal, a Trekkers Information Management System Card is required. As a result, before beginning your Himalayan adventure, you should obtain a TIMS card. TIMS cards can make by Blue Lake Adventure Pvt Ltd.
Special Permits – Upper Mustang
Trekking in restricted parts of the Annapurna region, such as the Thorong-La pass, the Nar Phu Valley, and the Upper Mustang, requires a special permit. Because these preserves are close to the Tibetan border, specific permits are necessary to trek.
Hiking in protected areas requires a special permit from the Department of Immigration, the cost of which varies depending on the number of days you plan to spend in the wilderness.
People and Cultural Diversity
Upper Mustang is primarily populated by Ancient Tibetan Buddhists. They have their own festival celebrations and have maintained their unique culture, traditions, and culture.
Upper Mustang architecture is influenced by the Tibetan style and is marked by flat mud roofs and stone dwellings. Monasteries and Stupas (Chortens) are particularly interesting for their paintings of Buddha and Thanka, as well as their adoring interior designs.
Religious and festival ceremonies are important parts of the Upper Mustang people’s lives and communities. Tiji and Lhosar festivals are primarily observed in the Upper Mustang.
Upper Mustang residents are highly known for their generosity and kindness toward trekkers. It is essential for all trekkers to respect the local people’s culture and traditions, as well as to be aware of their behavior.
FAQs on Upper Mustang Mountain Bike Tour
The Highest Point of Upper Mustang is Lo Manthang which lies at an altitude of 3,840m above sea level.
The Upper Mustang is restricted because it is located near the Tibetan border and for the security purpose the Upper Mustang is restricted to visitors. While the trekkers can trek by getting a special permit to enter the Upper Mustang.
The best time to explore and trek the Upper Mustang is September and November, March to April.
The Upper Mustang and Mustang are famous for the Thakali food and the Newari dishes along with the Tibetan dishes and locally made wine from the organic Apple.
The Upper Mustang Mountain Bike Tour is mainly of 15-18 days which depends on the participant’s choice and the time interval of staying in Nepal.
Reviews on Upper Mustang Mountain Bike Tour
Be first to post a review in this trip.
© Copyright 2023 Bluelake Adventure Pvt. Ltd. Website Developed by: I3 Web